Thursday, January 31, 2013




THE LONG VERSION

(a.k.a. The version I wrote instead of seeing a therapist J)
(a.k.a. The version I wrote because my life is an open book because I am part Italian)
(a.k.a. “Come on, when has Sally ever made a story short?”):

In 2001, Greg graduated BYU and started work for a small start-up company called In-System Design (ISD) in Boise, Idaho. Three months later, they were bought out/taken over by Cypress Semiconductor. From 2001-2009, Greg survived about 10 rounds of layoffs, we built two houses and had two children. Cypress provided a job and steady income until Feb. 2009 when they decided to close the Boise office. They offered to transfer Greg to Lynnwood, WA and in that job market (where Micron had just laid off 1,500 people the previous week and HP did across the board salary reductions and did a hiring freeze) we took it.

We said then: “Well, there are worse places we could have landed. Seattle could be fun.” Little did we know we were falling into something wonderful. Since coming to Washington, we have had adventure after adventure. We love our neighborhood, our ward, and our little town.

However, Greg’s work wasn’t quite as fun. His long commute and longer hours meant less time with the family. And after 12 years with the same company, his career took a less interesting path. So, last summer, he decided to start looking for a different career locally. After six months, we decided to expand our search and while our first preference was to move near family (if we had to move at all), a great opportunity presented itself in Boise. Within 3 weeks, Greg went from a phone interview to having an offer in hand.

The plan from here is up in the air. Greg reports to work on February 18th. The kids and I are going to stay and finish things up here – maybe until spring break. Right now, I’m spending a lot of time communicating with relocation agents, bankers, realtors while getting the house show ready and trying to keep life “normal” for kids with Valentine’s Day, Star of the Week, and all that other good stuff that happens everyday. Thanks goodness for wonderful friends who have taken my kids on playdates and provided food for us. It’s such a blessing.

We’ll update our “plan” as we go. Thanks to everyone for all your support and love!

3 comments:

  1. lol, you're hilarious! And I love how you always see the bright side of everything!

    So instead of spring break, how about the end of the school year? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! On moving back. Here's my 2 cents! When Mike got a job in SLC and I was still in Boise, I figured it would be easier to be with him then be on my own with the kids (then 3) and him commuting back and forth and living 2 seperate lives. BUT we had family in Salt Lake that could take us in so we were not paying 2 mortgages. Good luck! A little jealous, we haven't been back to Boise and it's been 3 years for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the job worked out. I can't believe it's in Boise! Good luck with everything. You'll figure it out perfectly as you've done so many times before.

    ReplyDelete